I need to use a lift and/or require other assistance in getting to you - how can you help?
We welcome disabled visitors but we are well aware that access to our premises is awkward for people in wheelchairs and those who have difficulty walking. We have pressed hard for improvements and continue to do so. We try to give you here as much advice as possible. If you have any other queries, then please ring us and we will try and accommodate your needs as best we can.
A. For people in wheelchairs
If you use a wheelchair you should:
- Park in the Borough Hall car park near the main entrance
- Go towards the main Borough Hall reception where you will find a bell to ring for assistance. Staff on reception will contact us to arrange for a member of our staff to accompany you through the main building
- Note that there is a toilet adapted for disabled people in the Riverside Building in which the Archives Service is based. It is to the right of the main entrance on the first floor.
- When you have finished, a member of staff will escort you back to main reception or to your car.
B. For people with other mobility difficulties
Unfortunately all routes into the Riverside Building have either a few steps or require some walking. If you are restricted from walking any distance or require the lift to get to our second floor location, we will try to make access as easy as possible for you. The first thing is to come straight to the Riverside Building. There are allocated disabled car parking spaces in this section of the car park.
- If you are at car park level, then at the ground floor staff entrance (up 6 steps) use the telephone in the yellow box to contact the Archives Service so that a member of our staff can come down and let you in. You can then go up to the second floor in the lift.
- If you are at first floor level - the pedestrian footbridge level - you can either press the intercom button to the left of the glass entrance doors and ask a member of staff to come and collect you or you can press the disabled access button on the left of the glass doors and follow the signage to the lift and go up to the second floor.