Whipsnade School in 1904
School elevation [AD3865/48]
Bedfordshire County Council became Local Education Authority for the county in 1903, following the Education Act 1902. In 1904 the County Surveyor reported on the condition of all the council and voluntary schools in the county under LEA control, excluding those on Bedford and Luton Boroughs which had their own executive arrangements. The surveyor's report [E/SA2/1/1]] took the form below.
WHIPSNADE SCHOOL AND HOUSE
This is lightly constructed, brick built and slated.
The Schoolroom measures: - 23 feet 6 inches by 16 feet 4 inches by 12 feet to 16 feet 9 inches.
It is very light. Only two sashes are made to open, two more should be so provided.
The room is warmed by a Tortoise Stove.
The floor is wearing thin.
This is a wooden erection, stained and varnished.
These are middens, one each for boys and girls, well away from School.
Repairing and Cleansing are needed.
A Coal Barn is provided.
This comprises four rooms, and a Scullery, viz.: -
Parlour 12 feet 6 inches by 12 feet by 9 feet
Living Room 12 feet by 10 feet 3 inches by 9 feet
Scullery 10 feet 5 inches by 8 feet 3 inches by 8 feet
The Scullery is very poor.
Bedrooms are over the first two only.
The house needs entire renewal internally.
N. B. - A Pantry is much needed.
External Repairs are necessary throughout.
Water is provided by a rain water tank and pump in yard.