Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Whipsnade > Whipsnade Church Architecture

Whipsnade Church Architecture

The church from the south-east March 2012
The church from the south-east March 2012

The list of rectors at Whipsnade starts in 1220. However, the church we see today was not theirs. The body of the church was entirely rebuilt in 1719-1720.

The west face of the west tower March 2012
The west face of the west tower March 2012

The tower, built in brick in the late 16th century, incorporates a re-used west door of about 1480. The old bell-frame was probably contemporary with the tower and one of the bells was dated 1630.

The pulpit March 2012
The pulpit March 2012

In 1674 the steeple was reported to be "out of repair" and there was no Church Bible. The pulpit is early 17th century and comes, presumably, from the earlier church.

Pulpit detail August 2007
Pulpit detail August 2007