Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Swineshead > The Close Swineshead

The Close Swineshead

The Close May 2008
The Close May 2008

The Close stands next to Lilac Cottage. Whereas Lilac Cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest, The Close is not listed. The building appears, on the outside, to be either 18th or early 19th century.

In 1927 Swineshead was valued under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting The Close [DV1/C151/13-14] noted that, like Lilac Cottage, it was owned by Lord St.John.

The property was divided into two, east and west. The larger portion, about two thirds of the space, lay in the eastern section and was occupied by Mrs.M.A.Lewis at £4 per annum rent. The grounds comprised 0.144 acres.

The living accommodation comprised a living room, kitchen and lumber room downstairs with two bedrooms above. The valuer remarked: "very poor place, poor repair". The western third was occupied by J.C.Clark  at £3/5/- per annum rent and comprised a living room and pantry downstairs with a bedroom above. Again, the valuer remarked: "very poor place, bad upstairs".