Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Swineshead > Swineshead School in 1904

Swineshead School in 1904

Old School May 2008
The Old School May 2008

Bedfordshire County Council became Local Education Authority for the county in 1903, following the Education Act 1902. In 1904 the County Surveyor reported on the condition of all the council and voluntary schools in the county under LEA control, excluding those on Bedford and Luton Boroughs which had their own executive arrangements. The surveyor's report [E/SA2/1/1]] took the form below.

This is a brick built and tiled building, of modern construction.

Main Room 30 feet 6 inches by 17 feet.

It is well lighted by eight windows, side lights are hung partially for ventilation. The Gable centre lights, now fixed, should be hung to open. All the lights nee dsafer stays than chains to support them when open.

Two ceiling ventilators are provided; these are poor. Six Tobin Tubes and an Exhaust Ventilator are necessary.

The room is warmed by a Tortoise Stove, the fireplace being closed by sheet iron which, if continued, needs renewing.

The floor is in fair order.

Cleaning, colouring, whitening and painting require renewing to all inside portions, including Lobby.

The doorstep is too high for children. The lower step should be lidted 2 1/2 inches.

The external parts of premises are very fair.

Offices

These were originally constructed for pail closets. They have now brick risers, and are common privies, and none too cleanly. They are not far distant from the School windows, and should be re-converted to their original use, and restored to work soundly.

The divisional wall needs repairing and pointing.

A Coal Barn is provided.

Water Supply

No water is provided on the premises.