Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Swineshead > Lilac Cottage Swineshead

Lilac Cottage Swineshead

Lilac Cottage May 2008
Lilac Cottage May 2008

Lilac Cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest. It dates to the 18th century and, like most of the older properties in the village, is built of colour-washed (in pink) rough-cast over a timber frame. It now has a pantiled roof but was thatched in 1927. The original cottage had two rooms up and down but a 20th century two storey extension has been added to the western gable end.

In 1927 Swineshead was valued under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting Lilac Cottage [DV1/C151/15] noted that it was owned, like several other cottages in the village, by Lord St.John. Mrs.A.E.Packwood was tenant at a rent of £2/12/- per annum. The cottage comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above; outside lay a barn measuring 6 feet by 9 feet 6 inches. The valuer commented: "very poor place".