Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Swineshead > Home Farmhouse Swineshead

Home Farmhouse Swineshead

Home Farmhouse in 1961
Home Farmhouse in 1961 [Z53/120/5]

Home Farmhouse was listed by the former Department of Environment in 1964 as Grade II, of special interest. The house dates from the 17th century and is built of colour-washed plater infill over a timber frame; it had a thatched roof though this has now been replaced by tiles following a fire in 1988. The building has a three room plan and comprises one storey with attics. There is a 20th century extension to the rear.

On 29th November 1918 E.L.Welstead's estates in Colmworth, Riseley and Swineshead as well as Hargrave [Northamptonshire] and Catworth, Molesworth and Tilbrook [Huntingdonshire] were put up for sale by auction at the White Lion Hotel, Kimbolton [Huntingdonshire]. Lot 3 was simply described as "A Valuable Accommodation Farm pleasantly situated in the Village" but the description makes it clear that it is Home Farm.

The occupier at the time was Mrs.Mary Ladds who paid £63 per annum rent. The farmhouse was described as: "A Picturesque Farm House (Stud, Plaster and Thatch) containing Front Entrance Passage, 2 Sitting Rooms, Kitchen with Copper and Bread Oven, 3 Bedrooms and Store Room, Dairy and Pantry. Small Front Garden, Kitchen Garden, Timber and Tiled Closet". The farm buildings were described as: "Farm Yard and Set of Brick and Tiled Farm Buildings, comprising Hen House, Cow Lodge for 5 Cows and Hay Store, Cow Lodge for 4 Cows, 2 Pigsties, Cow Lodge for 3 Cows with Manger, 2-stalled Stable, Loose Box, Open Cart Shed and Root Place and a Timber and Tiled Shelter Hovel". The farm included eight small fields, all grass.

Home Farmhouse May 2008
Home Farmhouse May 2008

In 1927 Swineshead was valued under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting Home Farm [DV1/H52/44] noted that the owner was J.Patenall, the occupier E.Ladds at £63 per annum rent. The farm contained 36 acres. The valuer noted: "Saw Mr.Ladds said Building in good repair, grass land wants re-draining. Owner shoe factor, bought it for mother of tenant, rent very high. Nice house".

The farmhouse comprised a reception room, kitchen, scullery and dairy with three bedrooms and one other room above. Outside were an earth closet and a coal house. The valuer remarked: "Water from well in yard"

The homestead contained: a brick and tile henhouse; a cowhouse for eight beasts; a wood and tile hay barn; two brick and tile pigsties; a loose box; a stable for one horse; a barn with brick floor and a two bay cart shed.