Duxworth or Duckford Manor Stagsden
The arms of the Barony of Bedford
Volume III of The Victoria County History, published in 1912, details all the manors in the parish of Stagsden. The Domesday Book of 1086 recorded for landowners in Stagsden. The largest holding was that of Hugh de Beauchamp, later created Baron of Bedford and the whole parish, except Gemys, Jempsis or Stanford Manor was later attached to the Barony of Bedford.
Duxworth Manor is first mentioned by name in the 16th century and, presumably, has its roots in property held by tenants named Dokesworth. In 1310 William Sweyn conveyed a small piece of land to John de Dokesworth and by 1316 Dokesworth held a house, ninety acres of land, eight acres of meadow, three acres of woodland ands seven shillings in rent in Stagsden.
The Mordaunt family arms
By 1514 the manor has in the hands of Thomas Marlborough and Margaret, his wife, and they conveyed it to Sir Ralph Lane. He died as holder of Duxworth Manor in 1540 and was succeeded by his son. The manor is next mentioned in the 17th century when it was held by the Mordaunt family, who owned each of the other Stagsden manors: Dylywyk, Bosoms, Burdelys and Gemys. Duxworth Manor is last mentioned in 1686 and would have formed a part of Stagsden Manor, the 18th century aggregate of all Stagsden manors created by the Trevor family which was eventually purchased by the Crown in 1873.