Bosoms Manor Stagsden
The arms of the Barony of Bedford
Volume III of The Victoria County History, published in 1912, details all the manors in the parish of Stagsden. The Domesday Book of 1086 recorded for landowners in Stagsden. The largest holding was that of Hugh de Beauchamp, later created Baron of Bedford and the whole parish, except Gemys, Jempsis or Stanford Manor was later attached to the Barony of Bedford.
The Wake family arms
The unusual name of this manor comes from the 13th century tenants under the overlordship of the Barony, the Bosom, Bosoun or Buzum family. The overlord ceased to be the Barony in 1265 when the last baron, John de Beauchamp, died at Evesham, fighting for Simon de Montford against King Henry III (1216-1271). His possessions were divided amongst his three sisters and Bosoms Manor was given to Ela, wife of Baldwin Wake. She, in her turn, left three daughters as co-heirs who thus each inherited a ninth of the old barony. Bosoms went to her daughter Isabel, wife of Simon de Patishull and this family presumably continued as overlords until such time as the overlordship was last mentioned in connection with the manor.
The first Bosom mentioned in connection with the manor is Bartholomew in 1276 when he granted land in Stagsden to Alexander Bosom and Ida, his wife. The family continued to hold the manor until about 1459 when Alexander Bosom's co-heirs were his daughters Elizabeth, wife of John Halton and Anne, wife of Nicholas Ovy who each inherited half.
The Mordaunt family arms
The Victoria County History states that the story of the manor is then a blank until 1497 when Eleanor Coly transferred the Halton portion to John Mordaunt. He also acquired the Ovy portion, from William Villiers, in 1506. The manor remained in the Mordaunt family until 1710 when it was purchased by Sir Thomas Trevor of Bromham.
Trevor, Lord Hampden - arms
Sir Thomas was appointed Chief Justice of Common Pleas on the accession of Queen Anne (1702-1714) and, in 1712, was created Baron Trevor of Bromham. he died in 1730 and was succeeded by his eldest son who died without issue in 1754 and was succeeded by his brother John. He also died without male issue in 1764 and his half brother Robert succeeded. He assumed the name and arms of the Hampden family and was created Viscount Hampden in 1776. At this time Bosoms Manor disappears from the historical record as it was united with Dylywyk and Burdelys Manors under the common name of Stagsden Manor.
Viscount Hampden's son died childless in 1824 and his heir, his brother John, died in the same year. Stagsden Manor then passed to George Rice Rice, son of George, 3rd Baron Dynevor. In 1873 the manor was purchased by the Crown from Lord Dynevor's estate.