37 High Street Stagsden
37 High Street February 2012
37 High Street is an attractive stone cottage on the south-east side of the road opposite the former Vicarage. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 19th century. It is built of coursed limestone rubble and has an old clay tile roof. The cottage comprises two storeys and had two rooms up and downstairs when originally built.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Stagsden was assessed in October 1926 and the valuer visiting 37 High Street [DV1/C36/22] found it owned and occupied by C. H. Bazley.
The cottage comprised a front room, a living room and a pantry with two bedrooms and a box room above. A barn and an earth closet stood outside. The valuer remarked "Very good Cottage". Another hand has written: "Very nice place, man objectionable"!