Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Lower Gravenhurst > 1 and 3 Lower Gravenhurst

1 and 3 Lower Gravenhurst

1 and 3 Lower Gravenhurst September 2017
1 and 3 Lower Gravenhurst September 2017

1 and 3 Lower Gravenhurst stand just below the church  heading south-west towards Ion.They are, presumably, 19th century and brick-built, though they are covered in colour-washed render. They have slate roofs.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottages found that they were then a row of six [Dv1/C214/110-115]. The three at the north-east now seem to be Number 1 and the other three and now Number 3. All the cottages were owned by George W Booth of Ion Farm. Running north-east to south-west the cottage details were as follows:

  • C Collins whose rent was “deducted from wages”. Accommodation comprised a living room, a kitchen and a scullery with two bedrooms above. The valuer commented: “Fist one of a terrace row of 6 cottages all farm. Recently done up. Nice”.
  • R Muir, rent deducted from wages; accommodation living room, kitchen and two bedrooms
  • W Collins, rent deducted from wages.; accommodation living room, kitchen and two bedrooms with a barn outside, the valuer noting “Two wash-houses shared one to three cottages”.
  • Fred Burley, rent deducted from wages; accommodation a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms.
  • Reginald Collins, rent deducted from wages; accommodation a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms, outside a weather-boarded and corrugated iron barn.
David Halls, rent deducted from wages; accommodation a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms.