Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Everton > 9 and 11 Sandy Road Everton

9 and 11 Sandy Road Everton

9 and 11 Sandy Road February 2013
9 and 11 Sandy Road February 2013

9 and 11 Sandy Road is no longer listed. It was listed as Grade III until that designation was abolished in 1970. The building dates from the 17th or 18th century and is built of brick, with a tiled roof and looks like an old farmhouse. It comprises two storeys.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C282/47-48] found it divided in two. The whole building was owned by the trustees of the late Francis Pym as part of the Everton estate.

The part of the house closest to the road was occupied by  W J Smith at a rent of £9/12/- per annum. He had a living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs with three bedrooms above. Outside stood a barn and an earth closet. The valuer commented:  “good garden”. Water came from outside tap

At the rear lived J Gurney whose rent was £8/1/- per annum (having been £6/3/4 pre-1914). He had a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms. Outside stood a washhouse, a barn and an earth closet (“good”). Again the valuer commented:  “good garden” and water came from an outside tap.

Bedfordshire Archive and Record Service has eighteen plans drawn by J R Eve for alterations, dating from 1973 to 1975 [PM1/84a-r].