40 Sandy Road Everton
40 Sandy Road February 2013
40 Sandy Road is an attractive thatched cottage which was listed by English Heritage in November 1986 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing dates the cottage to the 18th century. It is timber-framed with colour-washed render and comprises one storey and attics, originally having two rooms on the ground floor. There is a single-storeyed weather-boarded and thatched addition on the left-hand side.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C282/6-7] found that, like much of the village, it was owned by the trustees of the late Francis Pym as part of the Everton Estate. The tenant, John Hull, paid rent of £10 per annum.
Accommodation comprised a living room and a combined kitchen and scullery. There were two bedrooms in the roof. An earth closet and barn stood outside and water came from an outside tap. At that date there was a woof and corrugated iron cart hovel and stable for one horse on the right-hand side of the property and standing right on the side of the road.