1 to 11 Church Road Everton
1 to 11 Church Road from the north February 2013
These cottages were built by Francis Pym, owner of the Everton Estate, just after World War One. They are not listed but are a distinctive feature of the village. They are built of red brick and have tiled roofs.
Plaque on 1 to 11 Church Road February 2013
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottages [DV1/C282/15-20] noted “very good erected 1919”. They were now owned by the trustees of the late Francis Pym and rent for the whole block was £13 per annum and had been set in 1920.
1 to 11 Church Road from the south February 2013
Each cottage comprised a parlour, a living room, a scullery and a porch with three bedrooms upstairs. Each one also had an earth closet and barn outside. Water came from an outside tap. The occupiers, south-west to north-east, were as follows:
- Charles Jeffries
- Samuel Chapman
- Horace Gurney
- William Hull
- Samuel Lawson
- Charles Lawson