Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Clifton > The Two Brewers Beerhouse Clifton

The Two Brewers Beerhouse Clifton

Two Brewers in Catalogue 

The Two Brewers Beerhouse: Grange Street, Clifton

This beerhouse is only mentioned in Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service held documents in licensing registers and one ale catalogue and postcard. It was in operation by 1872 and closed some time after 1915, perhaps by 1920 as directory evidence suggests that Clifton lost a beer retailer some time between those two dates (beerhouses are not named in directories).

References:

  • HF143/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1872-1873;
  • HF143/2: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1874-1877;
  • WL73: property of Joseph Allen Piggott's Horne Lane Brewery, Bedford sold at auction to Charles Wells: 1875;
  • HF143/3: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1878-1881;
  • HF143/4: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1882-1890;
  • HF143/5: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1891-1900;
  • HF143/6: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1900-1914;
  • PSBW8/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1903-1915;
  • Bedfordshire Inns and Pubs in Old Picture Postcards, plate 32: c.1915

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:
1869-1894: George Hayes;
1898-1902: Emma Hayes;
1902-1914: Robert Hayes convicted on 20 Sep 1911 of selling beer in glasses not marked to imperial standards - fined 10/- with 11/- costs]
Beerhouse closed before 1920