Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Clifton > The Chequers Public House Clifton

The Chequers Public House Clifton

 

Chequers at Clifton
The former Chequers in March 2007

The Chequers Public House: Church End, Clifton

The earliest references at Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service are to the Overseers of the Poor paying their charges at the inn, or one with the same name, in both 1768 and 1771. The inn is also in the licensing register of 1822 to 1828. In 1830 the inn was owned by Henry Crabb, deceased, Hitchin brewer and was sold, with other properties to John Marshall in 1832. Marshall died in 1836 and evised his real estate to his son, John, who entererd into partnership with Joseph Margetts Pierson in Hitchin in 1841 but quickly sold out to William Hogg and Robert Lindsell of Biggleswade brewers Wells & Company in 1843. Wells & Company was itself bought by Kent businessman George Winch in 1899, for his son Edward Bluett Winch, and the company was renamed Wells & Winch.

The last mention of the Chequers is in a directory of 1914, at the time of the next directory held by Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service, 1920 the public house is not mentioned and so presumably closed in the intervening time.

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:

1735-1771: Edward Hill;
1822-1827: Samuel Billing * will;
1828 Sarah Billing;
1851: James Rowley 
1869: George Trolley;
1872-1876: William James Bygrave;
1876-1914: John Simms;
1914: Alfred Henry Beaumont
Public house closed before 1920

References:

  • P7/12/3: Overseer of the Poor's account: "pd the charges at the Chequre as usual 7s 6d": 1768;
  • P7/12/3: Overseer of the Poor's account: "pd the charges at the Chequre as usual 7s 6d": 1771;
  • WJ84:-85: auction sale held at inn: 1814; 
  • CLP13: Register of Alehouse Licenses: 1822-1828;
  • Huntingdon, Bedford and Peterborough Gazette & Independent: death of landlord and veterinary surgeon Samuel Billing: 1827;
  • HF40/2/21/1: recites will of Henry Crabb of Hitchin [Hertfordshire], brewer devising real estate to trustees for sale: 1830;
  • HF40/2/21/1: recited conveyance, with other property, by trustees for sale to John Marshall: 1832;
  • HF40/2/21/1: recited will of John Marshall devising real estate to his son John: 1836;
  • HF40/2/21/1: recited trust deed between John Marshall and Joseph Margetts Pierson as partners in brewery: 1841;
  • HF40/2/21/1: conveyance of properties by John Marshall, Thomas Gorham Pierson and Joseph Margetts Pierson to William Hogg and Robert Lindsell: 1843;
  • HF143/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1872-1873;
  • HF143/2: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1874-1877;
  • HF143/3: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1878-1881;
  • HF143/4: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1882-1890;
  • HF143/5: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1891-1900;
  • GK1/36: three sales catalogues bound together: Wells & Company of Biggleswade 1898; Henlow Brewery 1899; Baldock Brewery Limited 1903; 
  • Z1039/34/2a: conveyance of licensed properties from Frederick Archdale, Charles Samuel Lindsell, Henry Martin Lindsell and Arthur Knox Lindsell to Wells & Winch: 1899;
  • HF143/6: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1900-1914;
  • PSBW8/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1903-1915.