Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Clifton > The Blue Ball Beerhouse Clifton

The Blue Ball Beerhouse Clifton

Sale catalogue
CRT160/210 sale catalogue of 1872

Blue Ball Beerhouse: Davis' Cottages, Shefford End, Clifton

This beerhouse appears to have been owned by Cleaver of Baldock [Hertfordshire] and then by another local brewer, William King of Arlesey. It is been suggested that the site of this beerhouse is 9 Shefford Road. Charles Tattam was a beerseller in Clifton as early as a directory of 1847.

References:

  • CRT160/210: sale catalogue of F.Cleaver deceased's public houses: 1872;
  • HF143/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1872-1873;
  • HF143/2: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1874-1877;
  • HF143/3: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1878-1881 

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:

1847-1878: Charles Tattam [convicted on 16 Oct 1878 of selling gin without a licence on 3 Aug 1878 - fined £12/10/- with 8/6 costs and licence revoked]
Beerhouse closed 16 Oct 1878