Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Clifton > 30 Grange Street - The Armoury - Clifton

30 Grange Street - The Armoury - Clifton

30 Grange Street November 2009
30 Grange Street November 2009

The Armoury stands at the entrance to the grounds of Clifton Manor. There is nothing in Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service to explain the curious name. The surname Armor is found in the village, however, to it may be a reference to that family.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified [Section 19 (1)] that every piece of land and property in the country be valued to determine the rateable value. Clifton, like most of Bedfordshire, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 30 Grange Street [DV1/C220/31] noted that it was owned by A. Dilley and leased by F.Dilley at a rent of £20 per annum.

The brick and tile cottage stood in 0.210 of an acre and comprised two parlours, a living room, kitchen and washhouse downstairs with four bedrooms above. Two wood and thatch barns in bad repair stood outside and although water was laid on the valuer noted: "Very poor". The tenant's rent included the lease of just under two acres of land at the lodge gate.