York House Seddington
York House March 2010
York House has seen better days. It seems to be derelict. The property stands close to The Buttery. The house seems to be a classic small 19th century farmhouse or larger cottage.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Sandy, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting York House [DV1/C91/36] found it owned and occupied by market gardener Charles J. Underwood.
Accommodation comprised a parlour, living room, kitchen and scullery with three bedrooms above. Water came from an outside tap and also outside stood an earth closet and a coal house. The valuer considered the property to be “good”.
Adjoining the property were the following farm buildings: a wood and tiled barn; an old wood and corrugated iron pigsty; a wood and tiled three bay implement shed with an onion loft over; a wood and tiled two bay cart shed; a wood and tiled store shed; a brick and tiled three stall stable and chaff house; a brick and tiled chitting shed for potatoes and a wood and corrugated iron three bay shed and store. There was also a small, round yard. Adjoining the premises was 4.311 acres of market gardening land.
The rear of York House March 2010