Stanbridge Road Water Tower
Leighton Buzzard Water Tower [Z50/72/124]
This impressive water tower stood south of Stanbridge Road immediately neighbouring The Chilterns of today. The tower, which stood around a hundred feet high was built in 1896 and the official guide to Leighton Buzzard of 1910 noted: "The council are the owners of the waterworks and provide a constant supply of pure and wholesome water, which is provided free of cost for domestic purposes. The water is obtained from a well over 200 feet deep, bored into the lower greensand, and is capable of yielding a supply of 164,000 gallons per day. The latest analysis made by an eminent public analyst states that the water is "simply perfect" and "is excellent water for public supply"". The tower was pulled down in the 1950s.
Site of the water tower in June 2008