Leighton Middle School
Leighton Middle School seen from the High Street June 2008
Leighton Middle School occupies the buildings which accommodated The Cedars School from 1921 to 1973. In 1968 the Secretary of State approved a comprehensive reorganisation of schools by the Local Education Authority, Bedfordshire County Council. This did away with selection, all pupils attending similar schools, teaching the same curriculum, based solely on age. Children aged 5 to 9 attended lower schools, those aged 9 to 13 went to a middle school and those aged 13 to 18 attended an upper school. The council affirmed its support for the scheme in 1969 and again in 1970 and in 1974 the reorganisation reached the Leighton Buzzard area.
Under the arrangements The Cedars became an upper school and, as space for around 1,100 children was needed, moved to purpose built accommodation on the former school's playing fields in Linslade in 1973. Leighton Middle School was then formed as a new middle school in the old buildings.
On 1st April 2009 Bedfordshire was abolished. The new Local Education Authority for Leighton Buzzard and area is Central Bedfordshire Council, a unitary council discharging both county and district functions.
Note that some sources may not be available in order to protect personal details
- E/TE3/1: Return of teaching staff: 1980;
- E/TE3/2: Return of teaching staff: 1981;
- Z50/72/88-90: photographs of damage done to terracotta urns: 1981;
- E/PM3/2/4: information on Travellers' children at school: 1982-1987;
- CA8/1058: building maintenance file on stable block, house in Bridge Street and Cedars Memorial Garden: 1983-1985;
- E/PM6/2/4: school opposition to abolition of corporal punishment: 1985-1986;
- E/TE3/6: return of teaching staff: 1986;
- · CC/HS3/3/1: memorandum about ventilation in craft block: 1986;
- E/MS3/2/6: kitchen and other building: c.1987;
- E/TE2/2/M20: details of school: 1988;
- E/Pu4/4/216: school prospectus: 1995