Leighton Buzzard Post Office
The Post Office about 1920 [Z1306/72]
After Pulford's School in Church Square moved to new accommodation Leighton Buzzard Post Office opened on 1st September 1887 [P91/1/2]. The post office had previously been located at 5 High Street.
Under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on them. Leighton Buzzard was assessed in 1927 and the valuer noted [DV1/R80/85] that the building was owned by "Mrs. Richards and others" and that it was built of brick, stone and tile. The Post Office paid the owners £39/10/9 per quarter rent. The building comprised the post office itself, measuring 35 feet by 18 feet; a telephone room measuring 43 feet by 18 feet, a one storey sorting department measuring 50 feet by 30 feet at the back, an old stores at the back measuring 10 feet by 50 feet on two storeys and a cycle shed.
The Post Office in June 2008