Dovery Down School Leighton Buzzard
Dovery Down Lower School June 2008
Dovery Down was built as a County Primary School in the 1960s, opening in 1968 for pupils from 5 to 11 years. At age eleven pupils took an examination (the Eleven Plus) which determined which secondary school they attended. The top 25% attended a grammar school, The Cedars, where they were taught an academic curriculum designed to enable them to go on to university. The rest attended Secondary Modern Schools (Beaudesert for boys and Mary Bassett for girls until 1959 when both sexes attended Brooklands or, later Gilbert Inglefield) and were taught a more skills based curriculum intended to fit them for work.
Also in 1968 the Secretary of State approved a comprehensive reorganisation of schools by the Local Education Authority, Bedfordshire County Council. This did away with selection, all pupils attending similar schools, teaching the same curriculum, based solely on age. Children aged 5 to 9 attended lower schools, those aged 9 to 13 went to a middle school and those aged 13 to 19 attended an upper school. The council affirmed its support for the scheme in 1969 and again in 1970 and in 1974 the reorganisation reached the Leighton Buzzard area.
Leighton Buzzard was slightly different to other parts of the county in that it had two infants' schools (Beaudesert and Leedon) for pupils aged 5 to 7 years. It was envisaged that this would continue for the foreseeable future, however, in the event both schools changed to become lower schools. Under the arrangements Dovery Down taught children aged 7 to 11 until 1975, making the change to a lower school in 1976.
On 1st April 2009 Bedfordshire was abolished. The new Local Education Authority for Leighton Buzzard and area is Central Bedfordshire Council, a unitary council discharging both county and district functions.
Note that some sources may not be available in order to protect personal details
- CA8/200: building maintenance file: 1965-1973;
- CA8/719: building maintenance file: 1968-1971;
- CA2/320: building file on school extension: 1971;
- CA2/682: building file on swimming pool: 1972-1975;
- CA2/455: building file on swimming pool: 1973;
- E/TE3/3: return of teaching staff: 1981;
- E/TE2/2/L48: details on school: 1985;
- CC/HS3/2/1: health and safety problems at school: 1986;
- E/TE3/6: return of teaching staff: 1986;
- E/MS3/2/6: kitchen and other details: c.1987;
- SDLBDovery1/1/1-4: class attendance registers: 1992-1993;
- SDLBDovery1/2/1-6: class attendance registers: 1993-1994;
- SDLBDovery1/3/1-5: class attendance registers: 1994-1995;
- SDLBDovery1/4/1-5: class attendance registers: 1995-1996;
- SDLBDovery1/5/1-6: class attendance registers: 1996-1997;
- SDLBDovery1/6/1-6: class attendance registers: 1997-1998;
- SDLBDovery1/7/1-4: class attendance registers: 1998-1999;
- SDLBDovery1/8/1-5: class attendance registers: 1999-2000;
- SDLBDovery1/9/1-5: class attendance registers: 2000-2001;
- SDLBDovery1/10/1-5: class attendance registers: 2001-2002