Camden House School Leighton Buzzard
The following text is taken from Illustrated Bedfordshire its History and Commerce published in 1895. "Camden House Collegiate Boarding School for Girls, Leighton Buzzard. Principal Helen Wilmot Buxton (late Student of Newnham). Camden House is healthily and pleasantly situated in the outskirts of Leighton Buzzard, a town which is known to be one of the healthiest in England. The Chiltern Hills are near, and the air is exceptionally pure and invigorating. The premises are large and conveniently arranged, and stand in grounds which contain a spacious garden and a tennis court. The work of the school is carried on by an efficient staff of certified and foreign teachers, the Principal herself being a late Newnham student. The school course includes reading, writing, arithmetic, geography, English grammar, Scripture, history and literature, French, elementary science and mathematics, drawing and drill. Both boarders (for the term or weekly) and day pupils are received, and the latter can dine at the school. Latin, German, dancing, painting, music, singing and elocution are taught, as extra subjects. Pupils are prepared for the University Local Examinations, and students receive private coaching. The aims of the Principal in conducting the school are well expressed by the motto adopted from Froebel: "The object of education is the realization of a faithful, pure, inviolate, and hence holy life". Only a limited number of boarders are received, who have every care and attention. Excursions into the country and botanical rambles will form an important feature of school life. The terms are very moderate, and a reduction will be made in the case of two sisters. The dormitories are exceptionally good, large and airy. Delicate girls will receive especial care. The Camden House Collegiate School is organized on the best modern principles, provides all the requirements of a modern liberal education for girls, and is carefully and conscientiously conducted by fully qualified teachers. The intellect of the pupils is trained, their habits formed, and the moral and physical development of each are carefully fostered".
Camden House stood in Bridge Street. The only directory to mention the school is that for 1894. A look at the 1901 census shows that Miss Wilmot Buxton no longer lived there and so the school, presumably, closed at some point between 1895 and 1901, probably before 1898 as the Kelly's Directory for that year does not list the school.