Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > LeightonBuzzard > Beaudesert Schools in 1904

Beaudesert Schools in 1904

Beaudesert School buildings in 1901 in red
Beaudesert school buildings in 1901 in red

Bedfordshire County Council became Local Education Authority for the county in 1903, following the Education Act 1902. In 1904 the County Surveyor reported on the condition of all the council and voluntary schools in the county under LEA control, excluding those on Bedford and Luton Boroughs which had their own executive arrangements.

The surveyor dealt with both the boys' and infants' council schools in Beaudesert as both occupied the same site. His report followed the format shown below.

The buildings are built of brickwork in party colours, and tiled roofs. They are chiefly new, of good design, well-ventilated and lighted. The windows have top transom lights made to open very near to ceiling, and have also Tobin Tubes, fresh air inlets, and modern Exhausts for extracting vitiated air.

The Main Block comprises as follows: -

Principal Entrance (20 feet by 6 feet) off which each side are capacious well-appointed Cloak Rooms (20 feet by 14 feet and 20 feet by 9 feet) having also a Lavatory (10 feet by 5 feet) [in the sense of a place to wash, rather than a toilet] and five Lavatory basins, with water supply, waste and sink. These are really excellent in every respect".

Main School Room: 61 feet 3 inches by 20 feet.

Class Room: 22 feet 7 inches by 18 feet.

Class Room: 30 feet 6 inches by 20 feet.

Class Room: 33 feet 6 inches by 18 feet.

Class Room: 29 feet 6 inches by 18 feet.

Laboratory and Ante-Room

Three other Cloak Lobbies

Corridor connecting three Main Rooms, also commodious Cloak Room each side, and a five-basin Lavatory.

These are generally in excellent order, excepting slight repairs necessary to the Lobby doorway at S.E. corner.

All are warmed by open fires.

The exterior of buildings, roofs, bell turret, fences and the tar-paved yards are in good order. The Exhaust Ventilators in roof are under ridge, and lineable with rake of roof.


These are excellently planned, being of Duckett's Trough and glazed pedestal style, automatically flushed by a syphon tank, which also serves the Urinals. A good practice here prevails for checking use, and abuse.

A wooden building is provided, covered by corrugated iron, standing in a corner of the playground. This is used as a Carpenter's shop, and is fitted with five benches and full equipment.

Infants' Buildings

These are separate. The old portion has been fitted with modern lofty ceiling and air inlets. It is therefore well lighted, ventilated, and fairly airy, but the walls are poor and dirty, and a bad colour; the paint is poor, many of the windows are broken, these need some protection, or offenders brought to justice.

Main Room (Old) 48 feet by 28 feet

Teachers' Room 19 feet by 8 feet. This is well provided with cupboards and in fair order.

Infants' Room 19 feet by 19 feet. In fair order.

General Corridor and Cloak Room. 35 feet 6 inches by 7 feet 8 inches. This is in very fair order.

Class Room. 36 feet 6 inches by 22 feet 6 inches. This is a new room, and in good order.

Cloak Room and Lavatory. 19 feet by 19 feet. This is a new, commodious room for garments and Lavatory purposes. There are two basins and constant water supply.

Closets. These are of the same type as those previously named.

These Premises may be said to be in excellent repair, but for very slight exceptions.