1 to 5 Pulford Road Leighton Buzzard
1-5 Pulford Road June 2008
The Manor of Leighton Buzzard alias Grovebury was the principal landowner in the town before the 19th century. Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service has a full run of court rolls from 1393 to 1727 [KK619-715] and another full run from 1704 to 1867 [X288/1-23]. The service also has court rolls for other manor to own land in the town, the Prebendal Manor, from 1448 to 1459, 1588 to 1591, 1611 to 1622, 1627 and 1631 [KK792-1798]. A fair number of buildings in the town were originally copyhold and a detailed study of these court rolls would probably produce quite detailed histories for a number of properties and the sites on which they stand, though it would take many years of study.
1-5 Pulford Road were listed by the former Department of Environment in 1975 as Grade II, of special interest. The houses were dated to the late 17th or early 18th century. They have a red brick front, with a coursed rubble south side elevation
with brick nogging to a timber framed gable. They have an old tiled roof and comprise two storeys. Benjamin Bevan published a map of Leighton Buzzard in 1819; two years later a reference book was published giving owners and occupiers of every property shown on his map. 1-5 Pulford Road were, at that date, owned by a Mrs. Ashwell and inhabited by Widow Jones, M. Bates and Widow Marson respectively.
Under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on them. Leighton Buzzard was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the properties [DV1/R56/13-14] discovered that 1 and 3 Pulford Road were owned by Eliza Wagstaff's trustees and 5 was owned by F. R. Grace.
Number 1 was occupied by Charles Biley at 5/2 per week rent. The house contained a living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above. The valuer commented: "no back entrance". Number 3 was identical and occupied by William Charles Pantling at a rent of 5/6 per week. Number 5 was occupied by Mrs. Annie Margaret Jeffery at a rent of six shillings per week and contained just a living room and kitchen ("copper outside") below and one bedroom above.