Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Fancott > Stockwell Farm Fancott

Stockwell Farm Fancott

Bedfordshire Archive and Record Service does not have very much information on Stockwell Farm though a very detailed history was written by B P Harrold in 1995 and this is available as part of the searchroom library.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the farm, on 4th September 1926 [DV1/H4/18] found it owned and occupied by Robert Carr, who had bought it in 1915. The pre-war rent had been £96/10/- per annum for 50½ acres. The valuer's colleague commented "Rent was dear. Foll owned it". The valuer himself noted: "Water from well. 2 miles Harlington Station. House good, buildings very fair"

The house contained two reception rooms, a kitchen, a scullery, a cellar and washhouse, with four bedrooms and, outside, a brick and slate earth closet. The farm buildings comprised: a timber and corrugated iron nag stable and trap house; a timber and corrugated iron coal barn and two-bay cart hovel; a brick, timber and corrugated iron pig pen; a large brick, timber and corrugated iron barn ("floor very bad"); a brick, timber and thatched loose box, chaffhouse and cow house for twelve; a brick, timber and corrugated iron hen house; an old brick, timber and thatched cow house for three; a brick, timber and thatched stable for three with a chaff house and pig pen, all with a loft over; a brick, timber and corrugated iron pig pen; a timber and corrugated iron four-bay open hovel (three bays with a hay rack and manger) and a brick and slated pigsty.

In December 1985 a barn at Stockwell Farm was listed by English Heritage as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 17th century and has substantial timber-frame construction on red brick dwarf walling, it is weather- boarded and has a corrugated iron roof. The main part has two bays and an inserted floor; to the east is a half-height one bay extension; to the west end is a small outshot extension.

In 2008 the farmhouse was for sale. The particulars [Z449/2/57] describe it as: "A renovated period farmhouse set in 21 acres approximately, with lake, offices and further outbuildings. Located in a rural setting with development potential and country views". Accommodation comprised: a reception hall measuring 21 feet 8 inches by 9 feet; a cloakroom; a cellar measuring 14 feet 2 inches by 13 feet 4 inches; a utility room measuring 11 feet 9 inches by 7 feet 4 inches; a snug/library measuring 22 feet 5 inches by 14 feet 5 inches;  a kitchen/breakfast room measuring 18 feet 8 inches by 13 feet 8 inches plus 10 feet 3 inches by 10 feet 8 inches; a dining room 13 feet 6 inches by 13 feet 1 inch; a sun lounge at 22 feet 2 inches by 11 feet 10 inches and a conservatory measuring 11 feet 1 inches by 10 feet 7 inches. Above were five bedrooms (two en-suite) and a bathroom. Outside was anoak gazebo measuring 11 feet 1 inch by 10 feet 7 inches, surrounding gardens, a vegetable plot, a greenhouse, two storage sheds, an existing coarse fishery, ten acres with planning permission for another fishery and a 48-space car park, an office measuring 55 feet by 14 feet with kitchen and two cloakrooms, a threshing barn measuring 46 feet by 22 feet, a garage/car port, the listed barn measuring 48 feet by 16 feet and a pole barn measuring 46 feet by 31 feet.