Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Cainhoe > Cainhoe Park Farm

Cainhoe Park Farm

Most of Cainhoe lies in Clophill, as did cainhoe Park Farm but it now [2017] lies in the civil parish of Gravenhurst, close to the village of Upper Gravenhurst. The farm formed part of the Manor of Clophill and Cainhoe which in 1654 was purchased by Amabel, Countess de Grey and became part of the Wrest Park Estate, where it remained until just after the First World War.

The farmhouse was listed by the former Department of Environment in October 1952 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the house to the 17th century with 19th century alterations and additions. It is of timber-framed construction with colourwashed roughcast render. The 19th century additions were in colourwashed brick. The house has tiled roofs. The 17th century building has two rooms downstairs with two above in the attics. The later two storey block lies to the rear.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Clophill was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting Cainhoe Park Farm [DV1/H51/38] found that it was owned and occupied by G. Anderson and Son and had 145 acres. The valuer commented: "Bought at Lord Lucas's death"; "House water from well, Buildings from roofs"; "Road has to be kept up" and "Fields next road eaten up with rabbits". However, he noted: "Decent farm".

The farmhouse comprised two parlours, a kitchen and scullery downstairs, with a cellar beneath. Two bedrooms lay above and two attics above them. Outside lay a wood barn.

The homestead comprised the following weather-boarded and tiled buildings:

  • A two bay hovel;
  • Two loose boxes;
  • A three bay hovel;
  • A barn;
  • A stable used as two loose boxes;
  • Two piggeries;
  • A two bay shed;
  • A two bay cart shed;
  • A four horse stable;
  • A barn used for lumber.