The Red Cow Beerhouse Beeston
The Red Cow Beerhouse: (site of at) 21 Beeston Green [previously The Boot then Bedlow]
This beerhouse is first mentioned in a licensing register beginning in 1872 [HF143/1]. It was then owned by Biggleswade brewers Wells and Company. The firm was bought be Kent businessman Edward Bluett Winch for his son in 1899 and became Wells and Winch.
The countywide licensing register of 1876, which is not always entirely accurate, states that the beerhouse was first licensed in 1838. The entry in the 1872 register states that the beerhouse was called the Boot, the 1876 register calls in “Bedlow” which may be a mishearing of its later name, proved by tracing the licensees through the years, the Red Cow.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the Red Cow [DV1/C90/133] found it still owned by Wells and Winch and occupied by Robert Harper who paid rent of £15 per annum, set in 1924.
The plaster and thatched premises comprised a living room, kitchen, tap room and cellar with two bedrooms above. The valuer commented: “Just done up. Rural spot”. An earth closet stood outside along with a wood and thatched washhouse, barn, coal house and wood house and a wood and tiled two bay hovel.
Trade was one barrel of mild per week and about a dozen bottles of beer. As for takings: “Couldn’t say”! The beerhouse closed not long after this. It is listed in Kelly’s Directory for 1931 but not the next Kelly’s, in 1936, or the one after, the last for the county, in 1940. Today the site is occupied by modern housing, specifically 21 Beeston Green
- GK32/1: deed: 1851-1872;
- Z1039/34/1: schedule of deeds including conveyance - A.White and others to Archdale & Lindsell: 1872;
- HF143/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1872-1873;
- HF143/2: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1874-1877;
- HF147/3/660: Deposition of James Brown, keeper of the Red Cow beer house, Beeston that on the 30th April William Sutton and Samuel Housden had been quarrelling and refused to leave the house. fine and costs or 1 month: 1875;
- HF147/3/662: Deposition of Charles Shelton of Ickwell, market gardener against William Sutton and Samuel Housden both of Sandy for assault at the Red Cow Beeston: 1875;
- HF147/3/664: Deposition of George Curtis, wheelwright of Sandy against William Sutton for assault at the Red Cow, Beeston: 1875;
- HF147/3/665: Deposition of Haddock Hutchinson, carpenter of Blunham against Samuel Housden for assault in the Red Cow, Beeston: 1875;
- HF143/3: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1878-1881;
- HF143/4: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1882-1890;
- HF143/5: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1891-1900;
- GK1/36: Bound Sale Catalogue for Wells & Winch and associated houses etc.: 1898; Freehold 'The Red Cow', Beeston Green, (Sandy).
- Z1039/34/2a: copy conveyance of Wells & Company to George Winch: 1899. Red Cow, Beeston Green with yard, garden, stables and other outbuildings with garden at rear of 0a 1r 32p in occupation of Sydney Walter Ebbs; with common rights appertaining;
- HF143/6: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1900-1914;
- PSBW8/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1903-1915.
List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:
1872-1877: James Brown;
1877-1883: John Goode;
1883-1891: James Daniel;
1891-1902: Sydney Walter Ebbs;
1902-1924: Samuel Garner;
1927-1931: Robert Harper.
Beerhouse closed between 1931 and 1936.