The Cottage Lower Dean
The Cottage May 2011
The Cottage and next door Willow View lie in the High Street. The Cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 17th century. It is built of colour-washed roughcast over a timber frame and has pantiled roofs. The building comprises one storey with attics.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. It is likely that Dean, like most of the rest of the county was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting The Cottage [DV1/C150/25] found it owned by Mrs. Wade of Dean Grange and occupied by F. Dickens who paid rent of £5/10/- per annum. The cottage comprised two living rooms, a kitchen and three bedrooms above.