Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > LowerDean > Chestnut Farmhouse Lower Dean

Chestnut Farmhouse Lower Dean

Chestnut Farmhouse May 2011
Chestnut Farmhouse May 2011

Chestnut Farmhouse stands in Tilbrook Road. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the farmhouse to the 17th century. It is built of colour-washed roughcast over a timber frame with a thatched roof. It comprises a single storey and attics, with a single storey extension to the north-east.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting Chestnut Farmhouse [DV1/H32/18] noted that is visited in the morning of 4th January 1927 and found it owned and occupied by George Mehew. The farm comprised just fourteen acres. The valuer wrote: "Saw Mr. Mehew said Ground was very good & Buildings in good Repair".

The farmhouse comprised two reception rooms, a kitchen and a dining room with four bedrooms above. A washhouse stood outside and water was obtained from a pump in the yard. The homestead comprised: a brick and tiled store barn; a wood and corrugated iron one bay cart shed; two pigsties; a wood and timber cow house for three beasts; a brick and tiled stable for three horses; a loose box; a wood and thatched chaff house; a brick, wood and tiled corn store and a tool shed.