Manor Farm Broom
Manor Farmhouse March 2008
Broom had never had its own manor but was always part of the Manor of Southill and that is the manor referred to in the farm's title. In 1927 Broom was valued under the Rating Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting Manor Farmhouse [DV1/C152/148] noted that it was owned by the Shuttleworth Estate of Old Warden and tenanted by H.King, though the farmer was F.C.Capon.
The brick and slate building stood in 2.136 acres and the rent was £60 per annum. The building comprised a hall and a study measuring 14½ feet by 14 feet, from which one went down the back stairs and the kitchen from which led a yard ("really a lobby") and a small larder, scullery and wc. All these rooms were "v.good". The dining room measured 15½ feet by 15 with an 8 by 2 feet bay. There was also a china cupboard and a 14 foot square dining room.
Upstairs were a wc, a bathroom, a "tiny" bedroom and dressing room, a sewing room over the yard and scullery ("nice") and bedrooms over the dining room (13½ feet by 13), drawing room (12 feet by 14) and hall and study (14 feet by 13½ ). Outside were a garage for two cars, a harness room, two loose boxes and two stalls used for storage, a tennis court and a garden "but not pretty, funny shape" as well as a heated greenhouse measuring 26 feet by 11. The valuer noted: "Rent must be low. I should say £60 rates right. Might be let for £75. less for position next to farm buildings etc."
The farm buildings comprised a double garage and stabling next to the house, an implement shed, an army hut used as a granary, a potato house, office or stores, six bay cart shed, four bay implement shed, coal place, barn, stable for eight horses, two stall stable, implement shed, horse box, four bay hovel used as a loose box, five more loose boxes, another barn and another granary and two store places.