Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Broom > Broom School in 1904

Broom School in 1904

Broom School about 1900
Broom School about 1900 [Z1306/106]

Bedfordshire County Council became Local Education Authority for the county in 1903, following the Education Act 1902. In 1904 the County Surveyor reported on the condition of all the council and voluntary schools in the county under LEA control, excluding those on Bedford and Luton Boroughs which had their own executive arrangements. The surveyor set out his report in the format below.

This is a small brick and tiled building, with low windows which are supplemented by a skylight.

School Room 29 feet 6 inches by 18 feet 6 inches

Ventilation is by window lights and ceiling apertures.

Warming is by an Open Register Fire.

The floor is very fair.

The room is bright and cheerful.

Lobby

This is fair. The roof is not ceiled.

Rails for clothes hooks are not provided.

Light and ventilation are fairly good here for the number of scholars.

Offices

These are close to School and Lobby. They have metal receivers, but no dry earth. This should be provided, also more light and ventilation.

A Barn for Coals and dry earth is needed; a sanitary dust bin should also be provided.

These premises are very contracted, rendering the present sanitary arrangements very poor and risky.

The external condition of buildings is very fair.

Water Supply

This is procured from a neighbour; none is provided on the premises