Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Broom > 37 High Street Broom

37 High Street Broom

37 High Street July 2010
37 High Street July 2010

37 High Street was listed by English Heritage in March 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The cottage dates to the 18th century, though it was reworked in the 19th century. It is constructed of colourwashed roughcast over a timber frame and has a clay tile roof, which retains some of its original bands of fish scale tiles. The property comprises a single storey with attics.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Broom was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 37 High Street [DV1/C153/65] noted that it was owned by the Shuttleworth Estate of Old Warden and occupied by M. Swain at an annual rent of £12/10/- which included some adjoining agricultural buildings.

The cottage contained a living room, kitchen and scullery with three bedrooms above. A barn and earth closet lay outside. The valuer commented: "Not good". The adjoining agricultural buildings comprised two wood and corrugated iron two bay cart sheds and a wood and thatched range comprising a hovel, a barn, a stable for two horses and another barn as well as "2 Derelict cottages used as potato barn". The valuer simply commented: "Poor".