Roothmans Green, Wilden c.1925 [Z1306/132/4]
We have not yet been able to compile comprehensive history pages for Wilden. If you would like to carry out research and contribute to this site we would be delighted to hear from you.
Wilden is an ancient parish five miles north of Bedford, with hamlets at East End and Sevick End. Bedfordshire Archives holds many documents relating to the parish; a search of our online catalogue with Wilden as the subject returns over 2700 items. Significant collections for researching people or places in Wilden include:
- P106: Records for the parish of St Nicholas, including: registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; records relating to church property; account books of overseers of the poor; parish magazines
- PCWilden: Parish council records, including: minutes; financial records; documents relating to rights of way, planning and other local matters
- ABP/W: Wills proved in the Archdeaconry of Bedford, 1536-1857
- QSR: Quarter Sessions Records for Bedfordshire from 1714-1900. A search combining Wymington as the subject and QSR as the reference will find criminal cases in which the parish is mentioned.
- SDWilden: Wilden School [Free School, National, Public Elementary, VA CP, VA Lower]
- X823: Peat's Charity, Wilden
- WG1419: Order of exchange by Enclosure Commissioners with map, 15 August 1867
- WG2645-2652: Enclosure papers including copy of 1811 Act
- MA38: Enclosure Map and Award Book K, 1817
- MC1/5/0/1: Books of reference to the first edition OS plans
- R1: Russell Estate maps
- Z50/132: Photographs of Wilden
- Z1130/132: Postcards with pictures of Wilden
- Z1306/132: Postcards with pictures of Wilden
Further details of these items can be found through our online catalogue. Our detailed collection guides give more information about the types of records we hold.
Other useful sources for information about Wilden include:
- Victoria County History entry for Wilden, available through British History Online. Although published in 1912 most of the information is still relevant.
- The National Archives' Manorial Documents Register lists all manorial documents known to survive for the manor of Wilden.
- Open Domesday lists one entry for Wilden in the Domesday Book of 1086
Copies of the parish registers listing baptisms, marriages and burials up to 1812 can be purchased from Bedfordshire Archives
We offer an enquiry and research service, however this is limited to local history, properties and general subjects; we are no longer able to carry out genealogy research.