Turvey High Street c.1905 [Z1306/128/3/1]
We have not yet been able to compile comprehensive history pages for Turvey. If you would like to carry out research and contribute to this site we would be delighted to hear from you.
Turvey is an ancient parish about eight miles west of Bedford. Bedfordshire Archives holds many documents relating to the parish; a search of our online catalogue with Turvey as the subject returns over 4300 items.
Significant collections for researching people or places in Turvey include:
- P27: Records for the parish of All Saints, including: registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; records relating to church property; account books of overseers of the poor; settlement and removal papers; apprenticeship indentures.
- PCTurvey: Parish council records, including: minutes; financial records; documents relating to rights of way, planning and other local matters.
- ABP/W: Wills proved in the Archdeaconry of Bedford, 1536-1857
- QSR: Quarter Sessions Records for Bedfordshire from 1714-1900. A search combining Turvey as the subject and QSR as the reference will find criminal cases in which the parish is mentioned.
- GA488: Enclosure Papers, 1783
- MA3 Enclosure map and Award Book B, 1783
- MC1/5/0/1: Books of reference to the first edition OS plans
- MB2/TUR: Turvey Methodist Church
- X729: Records of Turvey Congregational Church
- SDTurvey: Turvey School [Church of England Mixed, Junior Mixed and Infants, Public Elementary Junior, VC CP, CPJ, CPI, Lower]
- HG: Higgins/Longuet-Higgins archive
- HI: Higgins of Turvey
- X11: Deeds
- X670: Higgins Family of Turvey
- Z1353: Priory of Our Lady of Peace (Turvey Abbey)
- Z178: Deeds, including Turvey Abbey Estate
- Z50/128: Photographs of Turvey
- Z1130/128: Postcards with pictures of Turvey
- Z1306/128: Postcards with pictures of Turvey
Further details of these items can be found through our online catalogue. Our detailed collection guides give more information about the types of records we hold.
Other useful sources for information about Turvey include:
Copies of the parish registers listing baptisms, marriages and burials up to 1812 can be purchased from Bedfordshire Archives.
We offer an enquiry and research service, however this is limited to local history, properties and general subjects; we are no longer able to carry out genealogy research.