High Street, Sutton c.1930 [Z1306/119/1/1]
We have not yet been able to compile comprehensive history pages for Sutton. If you would like to carry out research and contribute to this site we would be delighted to hear from you.
Sutton is an ancient parish eleven miles west of Bedford. Bedfordshire Archives holds many documents relating to the parish; a search of our online catalogue with Sutton as the subject returns over 2000 items. Significant collections for researching people or places in Sutton include:
- P123: Records for the parish of All Saints, including: registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; records relating to church property; account books of overseers of the poor; parish magazines; enclosure Act.
- PCSutton: Parish council records, including: minutes
- ABP/W: Wills proved in the Archdeaconry of Bedford, 1536-1857
- QSR: Quarter Sessions Records for Bedfordshire from 1714-1900. A search combining Wymington as the subject and QSR as the reference will find criminal cases in which the parish is mentioned.
- X143/4: Enclosure Act, 1741
- MC1/5/0/1: Books of reference to the first edition OS plans
- MAT44: Map taken from the Commutation of Tithe 1838
- SDSutton: Sutton School [Church, Public Elementary, VA CP, VA Lower]
- X532: Sutton Voluntary Primary School
- Z50/119: Photographs of Sutton
- Z1130/119: Postcards with pictures of Sutton
- Z1306/119: Postcards with pictures of Sutton
- Z1287: Deeds, Turner & Debenham solicitors, St. Albans [awaiting cataloguing]
Further details of these items can be found through our online catalogue. Our detailed collection guides give more information about the types of records we hold.
Other useful sources for information about Sutton include:
- Victoria County History entry for Sutton, available through British History Online. Although published in 1908 most of the information is still relevant.
- The National Archives' Manorial Documents Register lists all manorial documents known to survive for the manors of Sutton and Enderbies.
- Open Domesday lists 11 entries for Sutton in the Domesday Book of 1086.
Copies of the parish registers listing baptisms, marriages and burials up to 1812 can be purchased from Bedfordshire Archives.
We offer an enquiry and research service, however this is limited to local history, properties and general subjects; we are no longer able to carry out genealogy research.