Sundon (Upper and Lower)
Sundon Church c.1905 [Z1306/118/1]
We have not yet been able to compile comprehensive history pages for Sundon. If you would like to carry out research and contribute to this site we would be delighted to hear from you.
Sundon is an ancient parish 4 miles north of Dunstable and 5 miles north-west of Luton. Upper Stondon is the most populous part of the village although the church and manor are situated to the south in Stondon. Sundon Park was originally part of Sundon, but was transferred to Luton in 1964.
Bedfordshire Archives holds many documents relating to the parish; a search of our online catalogue with Sundon as the subject returns over 2000 results. Significant collections for researching people or places in Sundon include:
- P24: Records for the parish of St Mary the Virgin, including: registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; records relating to church property; account books of overseers of the poor.
- PCSundon: Parish council records, including: minutes; financial records; documents relating to rights of way, planning and other local matters.
- ABP/W: Wills proved in the Archdeaconry of Bedford, 1536-1857
- QSR: Quarter Sessions Records for Bedfordshire from 1714-1900. A search combining Wymington as the subject and QSR as the reference will find criminal cases in which the parish is mentioned.
- T42: Maps and plans, including Enclosure Award, 1769
- MC1/5/0/1: Books of reference to the first edition OS plans
- SDLutonSP: Sundon Park School, Luton
- SDSundon: Sundon School (Upper Sundon) [Board, Council, CP, Lower]
- T: Page-Turner Muniments and Manuscripts
- X980: Records of the Orme family of Holtwood Farm, Sundon
- Z50/118: Photographs of Sundon
- Z1130/118: Postcards with pictures of Sundon
- Z1306/118: Postcards with pictures of Sundon
Further details of these items can be found through our online catalogue. Our detailed collection guides give more information about the types of records we hold.
Other useful sources for information about Sundon include:
- Victoria County History entry for Sundon, available through British History Online. Although published in 1908 most of the information is still relevant.
- The National Archives' Manorial Documents Register lists all manorial documents known to survive for the manor of Sundon.
- Open Domesday lists 1 entry for Sundon in the Domesday Book of 1086.
Copies of the parish registers listing baptisms, marriages and burials up to 1812 can be purchased from Bedfordshire Archives.
We offer an enquiry and research service, however this is limited to local history, properties and general subjects; we are no longer able to carry out genealogy research.