Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Eastcotts > Eastcotts Manor

Eastcotts Manor

A history of the manors of Eastcotts is given in The Victoria County History for Bedfordshire published in 1912. The origin of Eastcotts Manor  seems to have originated in a grant of two hides of land made by Henry de Albini and his wife Cicely to Sopwell Priory in Hertfordshire during the reign of King Henry II (1154-1189). This suggests that the two hides may have been part of Cotton End Manor, which was also owned by the de Albini family. Another virgate of land was granted by Robert de Albini, son of Henry and his second sister Cecily at a later date.

Sopwell Priory retained the manor until it was dissolved by King Henry VIII (1509-1547) in 1539. Half the manor was granted to Sir Richard Lee, who had been granted Sopwell itself, in 1544 and, after this subdivision no more evidence of either half of the manor exists in the historical record.