Woodside Church Architecture
The original mission chapel shown on a map of 1880
In 1878 the Church of England decided that it needed a presence in the growing community of Slip End as the distance from Caddington church was significant. A mission church was erected in that year, somewhat provocatively opposite the Primitive Methodist chapel as can be seen in the map above. The present church was built in 1889 on a new site further east along the same road. It is dedicated to Saint Andrew.
The grave of John Sambrooke Crawley September 2012
The new church was funded by local magnate John Sambrooke Crawley of Stockwood Park, Luton. He is now buried in the graveyard beneath an impressive memorial.
Sedilia and piscina September 2012
The church was built in the Early English style from grey Luton brick (actually a kind of plum -grey mix) with stone dressings and a tiled roof to the designs of J. R. Brown and Son of Luton [P148/0/1]. The inside is red brick and incorporates such medieval features as sedilia and a piscina as can be seen in the photograph above. The church was dedicated and opened on Christmas Eve 1889.
The organ September 2012
The church comprises a chancel (with a transept and organ chamber) and a nave. There is a half-timbered south porch and a wooden belfry over the west end of the nave.
The font September 2012
The font is made of stone and dated 1888. It was presented by the children of the old Slip End mission church and was first used in that church on 24th June 1888 [P148/0/1].
The interior looking east September 2012
There is a stone reredos at the east end of the chancel. It has marble columns but is now covered by a curtain.
Woodside church from the south March 2007
The church originally had four tubular bells in the external bellcote. These were in poor condition by 1925 [ABE4].
The interior looking west September 2012
In 1892 the new church became the centre of a newly created ecclesiastical parish. Curiously, although the building is much closer to Slip End than to Woodside the latter name was chosen for the parish. The church was consecrated on 1st July 1892.
Northern respond of the chancel arch September 2012