Campton Church Architecture
The church from the south April 2015
The earliest surviving parts of All Saints church date from the late 13th century, though there was a church here in around 1215 when the first known rector was instituted. The advowson may have first been bestowed as early as 1150.
The interior looking west April 2015
The church is built from coursed ironstone with ashlar dressings and clay tile roofs. It comprises a chancel, north chapel, south organ chamber, nave, north and south aisles, south porch and south-west tower.
South arcade pier and capital April 2015
The chancel is 13th century, enlarged in the 14th. The nave is the same date, the arcade to the south aisle and, therefore, the aisle itself being late 13th century. The aisle was, like the chancel, reworked in the early 14th century.
The south-west tower April 2015
The south-west tower cuts into the south aisle and is of 15th century date. It was heavily reworked in 1898.
The pulpit April 2015
Some of the pews date also from the 15th century. The pulpit is a re-used 15th century screen.
The south porch April 2015
The south porch was an early feature. The will of George Flinders of Shefford, proved in 1533, donates to its re-building [ABP/R3/f.109]. The listing dated the present porch to 1898 when it replaced an earlier porch reported "much decayed" in 1847.
The Osborn Chapel and mausoleum from the north-east April 2015
The north chapel and north aisle date only from 1649. The adjoining Osborn mausoleum is 18th century and the south organ chamber was built between 1892 and 1896 when the church was restored.
The church from the east April 2015