2 Priory Road Campton
2 Priory Road April 2015
2 Priory Road Campton was formerly known as Chestnut Farmhouse. Its previous address had been 32 Rectory Road. The house was listed by English Heritage in January 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. It is a timber-framed building, dating from the 17th century, with pebbledash on the exterior walls and a clay tiled roof. It has two storeys. There is a single-storey 20th century extension on the north gable.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. When this building was valued it still held the street address of 32 Priory Road. It was owned by Sir Algernon Osborn, and occupied by an A B Hawkins. The house consisted of a parlour, living room and kitchen downstairs, with a cellar beneath, and two bedrooms upstairs. Outside was a water closet and barn. The valuer described it as a "big looking place on corner" [DV1/C175/69].