The former Brogborough Club December 2008
Brogborough Club would have been built at the same time as the Ridgmont Brickworks and the workers’ housing opposite, in 1935 and 1936. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the club about 1936 [DV1/X276/68] found it owned by Marston Ridgmont Properties Limited. The club rooms were built of brick and pantiles.
There was an entrance loggia, two WCs, a cloakroom, an entrance hall, another WC, a urinal, a lounge measuring 27 feet by 16 feet, a games room measuring 27 feet by 16 feet, a loggia measuring 27 feet by 7 feet, a service area measuring 27 feet by 7 feet, a store measuring 17 feet by 5 feet and a billiard room measuring 35 feet 6 inches by 27 feet. There was cellarage in a basement as well as a storage measuring 17 feet by 16 feet 6 inches and a boiler for the central heating.
The valuer commented: “A very good building indeed”. He also noted: “Bowling Green being laid”.
Sadly the club buildings were derelict for a while and finally demolished about 2009. It has been replaced by a small stand of sixteen modern homes set back from Bedford Road opposite the entrance to Highfield Crescent.
Entrance to the former Brogborough Club December 2008