Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Beeston > 7 Beeston Green

7 Beeston Green

7 Beeston Green March 2010
7 Beeston Green March 2010

7 Beeston Green was listed by the former Department of Environment in December 1979 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 17th century. It is a timber-framed structure refaced in yellow brick in the 19th century and further altered in the 20th century. The building comprises one storey and attics and has a modern concrete tile roof. A one storey lean-to lies at the north gable end.

The cottage may have been built by a Lord of the Manor of Beeston, alias Beeston, Thorncote and Hatch. Certainly in 1857, when the Mogerhanger and Beeston Estate was sold at auction under the will of then Lord of the Manor (also Lord of the Manor of Mogerhanger), Godfrey Thornton, the cottage was included in the sale. The sale particulars [WG2539] described the cottage as a small house, stable, shed, barn, pigsties and garden in the occupation of  Samuel Fuller.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Sandy, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 7 Beeston Green [DV1/C90/143] found it owned and occupied by Mary Ann Dale.

The brick and tile, plaster and thatched cottage was in “fair” condition and comprised a parlour, living room, kitchen and pantry downstairs with three bedrooms in the attics above. Mains water was laid on to the house. A wood and thatched stable and barn, two pigsties and an earth closet stood outside. There was a small garden. The valuer commented: “Nice”.

The rear of 5 and 7 Beeston Green March 2010
The rear of 5 and 7 Beeston Green March 2010