Rose Cottage - 1 Beeston Green
1 Beeston Green - Rose Cottage March 2010
1 Beeston Green was listed by the former Department of Environment in December 1979 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 17th century. The cottage comprises one storey and attics and is built in an L-plan with a projecting gable wing to the right-hand side. It is built of colour washed roughcast with a light red brick ground floor to the main wing and a thatched roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Sandy, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 1 Beeston Green [DV1/C90/145] found it owned by H. Richardson and occupied by Sydney Cooper who paid rent of £11/10/- per annum, set in 1920.
The brick and slate, plaster and thatch buildings comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms in the attics. Water came from an outside tap. An earth closet and barn stood outside and there was a small garden.