Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Bedford > Bedford Training Home for Girls

Bedfordshire Training Home for Girls

Staff and girls at the Training Home 1912

The Girls and staff of the Bedfordshire Training Home for Girls c.1912

Established in March 1879 the Bedfordshire Training Home for Girls was set up with the object of helping girls of good character living in dangerous surroundings and train them for domestic service, including laundry work. The Home closed in 1930 and the building at Park Road North was transferred to the St Albans Diocese for use as a Mother & Baby Home.

Bedfordshire Training Home for Girls 1879 - 1886

Bedfordshire Training Home for Girls 1887 - 1894

Bedfordshire Training Home for Girls 1895 - 1900

Bedfordshire Training Home for Girls 1901 - 1912

The Opening of the Home at Park Road North in 1912

Bedfordshire Training Home for Girls 1912 - 1930

The Woburn Sands Cottage Home

The girls in the Home 1881

The girls in the Home 1891

The girls in the Home 1901 part one

The girls in the Home 1901 part two.

For more details of the archives of the Training Home held by BLARS search our catalogues references ST1497 to ST1545. Please note that access to some of these records may be limited due to a 100 year embargo.