Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Shelton Manor

Shelton Manor in Lower Shelton Road was described in 1699 as the “mansion or manor house” for the manor of Nether Shelton. It was listed in 1952 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing entry describes the house as being 16th century with later reworkings. It is built of close-studded timber framing with colour washed brick and plaster infill, and clay tile roofs. It is a long rectangular two-storied block, with a jettied first floor. There is a 19th century single-storied addition to the centre of the front, of colour washed brick with a hipped tile roof. There is a slightly lower two-storied addition to the right hand gable end, with lighter timber framing. The ground floor has two, 3-light casement windows to the main block, and a canted bay window and casement window to the 19th century block. The first floor has four, 3-light casement windows. All the windows retain their leaded lights. There is a part-glazed door to the left hand side under a sloping roofed open porch, and a plank door to the right hand surmounted by a rectangular fanlight. There is an external brick chimney stack to the left hand gable end and two red brick ridge chimney stacks, one substantial. [Heritage Environment Record 4309]  

From the 16th century the manor and farm of Nether Shelton was owned by a series of absentee landlords. The deeds mention various tenants of Nether Shelton manor, including John Odell in 1559, Thomas Cowley early in the 17th century and Robert Pedder in 1699. In 1793 the manor was occupied by William Busby on a lease at a rent of £210 per annum, and in 1842 by Thomas Bennett. 

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuation book compiled at this time shows that Shelton Manor Farm was owned and occupied by Edith Stratford [DV1/H15/44]. The rent had been increased from about £260 in 1911 to £280 in 1917. The farm had extended to 223 acres before the War, but was now only 118 acres. There were no mains services, with water drawn from a well, lamps for lighting and earth closet sanitation. Problems with the farm mentioned by Miss Stratford were extensive boundary hedges, a heavy tithe, too many buildings for the current acreage, and two fields with no water. The valuer thought it “Quite a useful farm for Marston district”.