36 Tebworth Road Wingfield
36 Tebworth Road February 2013
36 Tebworth Road stands well back and, until the latter half of the 20th century, had a Methodist chapel standing between it and the road. It was listed by the Department of Environment in 1980 as Grade II, of special interest.
The house is considered to date from the late 17th or early 18th century, though it has a 19th century extension. It is timber-framed and brick built and covered with render, with a slate roof. It has a cross-wing with a single bay extension at the east end. The property comprises two storeys and has a blocked original window in the upper storey.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C23/39-40] found that it was then two dwellings, both owned by J. Kingham. The western home was occupied by H. Cooper who paid three shillings rent per week. E. Fossey lived in the other end and paid the same rent.
Both parts of the building each comprised a living room and scullery with two bedrooms above. A brick and slate earth closet and barn stood outside.