Ivy Farm Tebworth
Ivy Farm November 2014
The Historic Environment Record for Bedfordshire includes descriptions of sites, landscapes and finds of historic interest throughout the county. A summary of each entry can be found online on the Heritage Gateway website. Entry 6848 is for Ivy Farmhouse which is described as an early 19th century structure, built from yellow brick with red brick dressings and comprising two storeys beneath a Welsh slate roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 stated that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting Ivy Farm, on 20th October 1926 [DV1/H29/6] discovered that it was owned and occupied by W. Dolemore who also had Lane Farm.
The farm comprised 170 acres and the valuer commented: "Water from well. Telephone. House good, buildings fair". Another hand has written: "Very good, lettable farm" and "3 sets of buildings and 2 houses. Spent money on house". It was stated "Rent in wages. Tenant works for owner. Water from well". W. Dolemore obviously lived at Lane Farm House and one of his workers lived in Ivy Farmhouse
The farmhouse comprised two reception rooms and a kitchen downstairs with three bedrooms and a box room above. A brick and slate earth closet stood outside. The homestead comprised: a brick, tile and corrugated iron trap house; a timber and thatched granary; a three bay cart shed; a loose box; a stable for four horses; a calf pen and loose box; a large barn in bays; three calf pens; two loose boxes and two timber and slate loose boxes.