Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Tebworth > Home Farm Tebworth

Home Farm Tebworth

Home Farm February 2013
Home Farm February 2013

Home Farmhouse was listed by the former Department of Environment in September 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. The property dates from the 17th century and was timber-framed. The interior still shows the timber framing but the exterior has been refaced in brick onto which render has been applied. The house comprises two storeys beneath an old clay tiled roof.

In 1907 the property was put up for sale by auction by the administratrix of J. E. Day. The particulars [BML10/14/4] state that title to the property should be taken to commence with will of Edward Day of 19th January 1872; he died on 13th January 1878. The farm is described thus: “A convenient sized FARM-HOUSE, Brick-built, with Slated and Tiled Roof, containing the following accommodation: - Cellars, Wash-house, Kitchen, Dairy, Pantry, 3 Sitting Rooms, 5 Bedrooms and Attic. There is a small Front Garden with Brick-and-Slated Stable and 2 Chaise Houses thereon and a further Garden at side. A very conveniently arranged HOMESTEAD, Consisting of the following Buildings, opening on to the principal stock-yard: - Brick-and-Slated Stable for 5 horses, with Chaff-house; similarly built Granary and Mixing House; Brick, Timber, and Slated 4-bay Barn, with brick and plank floors to 2 bays; Brick-and-Slated Cow-house for 8 cows; similarly built Open Shed with paved floor; Fowl-house and Brick-and –Tiled Piggeries. Opening on to a smaller Yard at the rear of the foregoing are Timber-built and Tiled Cowshed, range of Timber and Thatched Buildings, consisting of Shed and 3 Loose Places, Zinc-roofed Calf Box, and Timber and Thatched Barn. At the side is a walled-in Rickyard, with Cart Shed; also the Sheep Yard, with Timber and Iron-roofed Shed around two sides of same”. The farmlands comprised 73 acres, 1 rood 6 poles, around two thirds of it arable. “The Farm has been in the occupation of the late Mr. J. E. Day for many years past”. The particulars note at the back that the house and farm was sold to George Bunker for £2,325.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 stated that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting Home Farm, on 27th October 1926 [DV1/H29/16], noted that the owner was still G. C. Bunker, the occupier being H Fletcher who paid rent of £180 fixed 1924, the previous rent, fixed in 1911 having been £160. The valuer left a comment in the margin at this point which simply says: "Oh!". Another note states: "No drinking water, this has to be fetched from village pump. House fair, buildings good"

The farmhouse comprised two reception rooms, a kitchen, scullery and dairy downstairs with four bedrooms and a boxroom above. A brick, weather-boarded and corrugated iron earth closet and coal barn both stood outside. The farm buildings were divided into eight blocks, listed as following, corresponding to the letters on the plan below:

  • A: a brick and slate stable for five horses; two chaff houses and a small granary;
  • B: a large brick, weather-boarded and slated barn in bays;
  • C: a weather-boarded and corrugated iron cowhouse for six and a cartshed;
  • D: a weather-boarded and corrugated iron cowhouse for five; a brick and slate cowhouse for seven; a large brick, slate and corrugated iron cowhouse for sixteen (“Note this has been an open yard at one time”);
  • E: three brick and timber pigsties and a henhouse;
  • F: an old brick, weather-boarded and corrugated iron mixing barn, three loose boxes and a four bay open hovel;
  • G: a brick and slate three bay cart hovel; a weather-boarded and corrugated iron seven bay sheep hovel and a weather-boarded and corrugated iron implement shed;
  • H: a small brick and slate barn; a trap house and a nag stable.

Home Farm on the survey map of 1926
Home Farm on the survey map of 1926